Community Teen Programs
In partnership with local schools and community-based organizations, the California Science Center has developed science-enrichment and workforce preparedness programs for teens.
of these paid internships include:
science learning relevant to the interns lives
- Using informal science education as a vehicle to build skills for academic achievement in all disciplines
- Preparing students for the workforce and college by focusing on communication and leadership skills
Community Teen Intern II and III
Sophomore and junior interns interact with guests of all ages at the California Science Center. They do cart presentations and hands-on activities having to do with the Science Center’s galleries. Interns learn public speaking and customer service skills, as well as informal education techniques and workforce preparedness.
Community Teen Intern IV
Senior interns are trained to serve as mentors and teaching assistants for the Curator Kids Club, a science-enrichment program for children ages 11 to 13. In turn, experienced Science Center staff guide interns, helping them to develop communication, leadership and workplace skills and to articulate educational and career goals.
Qualifications for Both Programs
- Must be a currently enrolled high school student with a minimum 2.0 GPA
- Returning applicants (interns) who were previously employed by the California Science Center are given preference
- Applicants who reside within a one (1) mile radius of the California Science Center are given preference; applicants beyond this radius will be reviewed depending on the amount of applications received
- Ability to follow directions and be a team player
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude and strong work ethic
- Eagerness to learn, help others learn, and willing to contribute creative ideas
Click here to download the 2013-14 Saturday Year Round Program Application. The deadline to submit applications is October 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM.
(You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the application)
more information, please call (213) 744-7444 or email [email protected].