The Host/Lifeguardís primary responsibility is the touch tank and kelp tank areas in Ecosystems. The Host/Lifeguard maintains an understanding of animal information in and around this area to answers inquiries about the animals as well as provides emergency assistance as required.
- Deliver High Quality, Guest Friendly Service.
- Present various guest programs including; working the touch tank sea creatures and educating guests of all ages, reef zone also delivering program information regarding animals in touch tank and ability to speak about the equipment backstage which is visible to guests and part of our exhibits.
- Promote guest participation in programs.
- Exceptional ability to sustain enthusiastic interactions with both guests and staff in a variety of contact situations.
- Ensure safety in and around open tank area at all times.
- Rescue anyone who may fall into the kelp tank.
- Render first aid and CPR.
- Maintain appropriate certifications.
- Understand all safety and emergency preparedness procedures.
- Exercise active listening skills and positive body language through smiling, sustaining eye contact, keeping good posture and speaking clearly with guests.
- Be alert of children who become separated from parents or groups.
- Promote the Science Centerís educational programming and recommend purchase of Annual Memberships to guests.
- Work with groups and provide appropriate customer service to groups of various age/grade levels.
- Introduce volunteers to other Guest Services paid and unpaid staff while they are in your area. Treat them as you would any other paid/unpaid staff member.
- Work with other departments and volunteers in the Science Center to create an educated/informed staff and friendly work environment.
- Perform other duties as required.
- High school diploma / some college work in life sciences or related field preferred.
- Must be CPR / Lifeguard certified.Must possess a strong swimming background/experience and ability to perform in-water rescues.
- Experience with interacting and/or handling live animals preferred.
- 1+ years of customer/guest services experience preferred.
- Experience in teaching or working with the public in an informal education or public setting.
- Strong public speaking skills, friendly, energetic and outgoing personality.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to resolve minor guest and/or staff conflicts.
- Must be reliable and detail oriented.
- Must be able to walk and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish preferred but not necessary.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays, evenings and nights.
$10.50 per hour
Letter, Resume and Salary History (A Must) to the HR Dept.
via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org,
or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R.
Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. No phone calls