Tree Maintenance Assistant
The Tree Maintenance Assistant will be assigned general horticulture/street softscape responsibilities associated with the California Science Center Foundation tree replanting program. This position will be part of a work crew assigned to a water work truck. A majority of the work will be performed “off-site” from the California Science Center Foundation grounds and throughout Los Angeles and neighboring cities, while additional duties may be assigned within interior and exterior educational gardens and themed exhibits at the California Science Center Foundation facility located within Exposition Park.
This is a part time position that will be based on the length of the tree maintenance schedule/plan within each city.
- Under supervision, this position performs various routine tree maintenance tasks to care for trees associated with the California Science Center Foundation tree replanting program. Some task include watering new trees, connecting to water source, filling water truck and distributing water from water truck to tree wells. Duties will also include maintaining tree wells that adequately hold volume of water distributed.
- This position has a strict uniform and dress code in addition to the California Science Center Foundation Appearance Guidelines. Safety toe work boots are required, long pants and belt at/above the hips (no denim jeans or shorts allowed). During working hours company issued safety vest, t-shirt and hat must be worn at all times. A safety first approach to all work shall be employed, protective eyewear, gloves and noise reducing ear protection shall be worn.
- Must read, understand and comply with the California Science Center Foundation Employee Handbook and the Valley Crest Landscape Development safety guidelines.
- General Horticulture associated with tree care, including tree trimming and pruning, tree staking, maintaining tree wells, use of shovels and other digging tools, soil amending, proper weed identification and weeding by hand and or use of weeding tools, and removing grass from the tree trunks.
- Responsible for keeping work truck neat and well organized, well stocked with appropriate equipment and keeping equipment in working order.
- Perform basic irrigation repair work.
- Sweeping, raking, and cleaning of tree planting site.
- Breaks, including meal breaks, will be provided along the working route of the water truck each day and in accordance with applicable laws.
- Perform other duties as required.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Must be able to provide self transportation to and from these two locations:
Valley Crest Landscape Development
18015 S. Main Street
Gardena, CA 90248
California Science Center Foundation
700 Exposition Park Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90037
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays, evenings and nights.
- Setting and maintaining a schedule with strong/positive attendance record.
- Must be able to walk, stand, and handle complete manual labor for long periods of time.
- Tree maintenance experience preferred and/or the willingness to learn horticulture trade with emphasis on tree maintenance.
- This is a hands-on position and the nature of the work will require exposure to inclement weather conditions. Must be willing to get wet and dirty during work (rain or shine).
- Capable of lifting up to fifty-five (55) pounds and operating mechanical machinery and power equipment and/or tools.
- Must be friendly, energetic, and outgoing with excellent oral and written communication skills, record keeping, and note taking ability with constant attention to safety.
- Must be reliable, detail oriented, have great attendance and punctuality along with possessing the ability and willingness to greet the public in a friendly and professional manner.
$10.00 to $11.00 per hour
Letter, Resume and Salary History (A Must) to the HR Dept.
via fax at 213-744-2673, email to [email protected],
or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R.
Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. No phone calls